Edited highlights from the timeline section of the Wikipedia article on the Gävle Goat:
- 1972 The goat collapsed because of sabotage.
- 1974 Burnt.
- 1976 Ran over by a car.
- 1978 Again, the goat was kicked to pieces.
- 1979 The goat was burnt even before it was erected. A new one was built and fireproofed. It was destroyed and broken into pieces.
- 1980 Burnt down on Christmas Eve.
- 1981 Nothing happened.
- 1983 The legs were destroyed.
- 1985 Even though the goat was enclosed by a 2 metres (6.6 ft) high metal fence, guarded by Securitas and even soldiers from the Gävle I 14 Infantry Regiment, it was burnt down in January.
- 1987 A heavily fireproofed goat was built. It got burnt down a week before Christmas.
- 1988 Nothing happened to the goat this year.
- 1989 Again, the goat burnt down before it was assembled.
- 1990 Nothing happened.
- 1995 A Norwegian was arrested for attempting to burn down the goat.
- 1997 Damaged by fireworks.
- 1999 Burnt down only a couple of hours after it was erected.
You can see this year’s goat via a webcam.